Will hershey's chocolate kill a dog?

Last Update: April 20, 2022

This is a question our experts keep getting from time to time. Now, we have got the complete detailed explanation and answer for everyone, who is interested!

Asked by: Dr. Keven VonRueden
Score: 4.3/5 (32 votes)

Chocolate can seriously sicken your dog and sometimes can even kill it. Veterinarians rate chocolate as one of the most common causes of dog poisoning. ... Since an average chocolate bar like Hershey's milk chocolate weighs one and a half ounces, it would take a fairly large amount to poison a dog.

How much chocolate does it take to kill a dog?

While this depends on the type of chocolate, it can take only 0.3 ounces of concentrated chocolate per pound of body weight to kill a dog. Milder types of chocolates vary from 0.5 to 2 ounces. This is because chocolates contain theobromine, which is a lethal chemical for dogs.

Is Hershey milk chocolate bad for dogs?

For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning. Ingestions of more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate may cause poisoning.

What happens if your dog eats Hershey's?

The Science Behind Dogs Eating Chocolate

Chocolate can cause restlessness, vomiting and diarrhea at moderate doses. High doses can cause scary symptoms like heart arrhythmia and seizures. It may take up to 6 hours for your pup to show symptoms after their naughty indulgence.

How much Hershey chocolate can a dog eat?

Milk chocolate: Approximately 3.5 ounces (more than 2 regular Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars) for a 10-pound dog, 7 ounces for a 20-pound dog, and 10.5 ounces for a 30-pound dog all require a call to the vet.

Will Chocolate Kill Your Dog? | COLOSSAL QUESTIONS

31 related questions found

What if my dog ate chocolate but seems fine?

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, call your vet right away. ... Your vet can then tell you what to do. "If your veterinarian confirms chocolate toxicity, they will most likely induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal," says Dr. Blach.

How much chocolate can a dog eat without getting sick?

To put this in perspective, a medium-sized dog weighing 50 pounds would only need to eat 1 ounce of baker's chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate, to potentially show signs of poisoning. For many dogs, ingesting small amounts of milk chocolate is not harmful.

Are Hershey Kisses poisonous to dogs?

Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs

Even something as small as a Hershey's Kiss is enough to make a dog sick. Well, one Kiss may not make a dog sick (depend on the size of the dog). But if your fur baby has eaten several of these sweet treats, he could become very sick.

Will my dog be OK after eating chocolate?

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. If your dog eats chocolate, you should monitor them closely and seek veterinary attention if they show any symptoms, or if they are very young, pregnant or have other health concerns.

Should I make my dog throw up if he ate chocolate?

Even if you don't see your pet consuming chocolate but find suspicious evidence such as chewed-up candy wrappers, it's a good idea to get your pet to vomit. It can be dangerous to induce vomiting if the pup acts lethargic or it is otherwise dehydrated or sick.

What chocolate is bad for dogs?

Generally, the more cocoa solids contained in a product, the more theobromine will be present and the more dangerous the item is for your pet. Therefore, dark chocolate and chocolate used for baking (cocoa powder or Baker's chocolate) are much more toxic to dogs than milk chocolate or white chocolate.

How long does it take for a dog to recover after eating chocolate?

In the majority of cases, the symptoms occur within a few hours, but it has been known to be delayed for as long as 24 hours. It can take as long as three days for the dog to recover completely.

Will a tiny piece of chocolate kill a dog?

In short, a small amount of chocolate won't kill the average-sized dog (but don't make it a habit of feeding it to them!). In the event that your dog has ingested more than a few chocolate chips, it's best to induce vomiting through hydrogen peroxide (one teaspoon for every 10 lbs of your dog's body weight).

How much chocolate can kill a 50 lb dog?

According to The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th Edition Online, “clinical signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of ~0.04 oz (1.3 mg) of baker's chocolate or 0.4 oz (13 mg) of milk chocolate per kilogram of body weight.” This means that a one-ounce (28 gram) square of baker's chocolate would cause symtoms in a 50- ...

How much chocolate can kill a large dog?

Merck warns that deaths have been reported with theobromine doses as low as 115 milligrams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. So 20 ounces of milk chocolate, 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and just 2.25 ounces of baking chocolate could potentially kill a 22-pound dog, Fitzgerald says.

What can I give my dog after eating chocolate?

After your dog eats chocolate: steps to take at home

Vetted Pet Care suggests taking only three percent solution of Hydrogen Peroxide (not the concentrated six percent solution) and putting 1ml for every pound of body weight (so 16 ml for 16 pounds), into food or in a dropper to feed her to induce vomiting.

What do vets do when a dog eats chocolate?

The most common way vets treat chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs, he says. For example, they'll use a drug called apomorphine to force vomiting, stomach pumping to flush the stomach with fluids, and medicine called activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog's blood.

Does chocolate have long term effects on dogs?

Long-term effects of canine chocolate toxicity occur when your dog, whose system cannot withstand the overstimulation caused by caffeine and theobromine, responds to this distressing combination with heart arrhythmias, considerable confusion and agitation, and seizures. Death is possible.

How much chocolate is in a Hershey's Kiss?

Hershey's Kisses are small bite sized portions of Hershey's famous milk chocolate. Each Kiss is about 4.6 grams (being one seventh of the suggested serving size of 7 kisses).

How many grams of chocolate can a dog eat?

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea. Treatment is required for dogs who have eaten 3.5g of dark chocolate for every kilogram they weigh and 14g of milk chocolate for every kilogram they weigh.

What is an ounce of chocolate?

Chocolate measures as follows: 1 square of chocolate is equal to 1 ounce.

Has anyone's dog died from eating chocolate?

No, not unless it eats a lot of chocolate. ... But in 16 years as an emergency and critical care veterinarian, Hackett has seen just one dog die from chocolate poisoning, and he suspects it may have had an underlying disease that made it more vulnerable to chocolate's heart-racing effect.

How do you treat chocolate poisoning in dogs?

Treatment for chocolate poisoning in dogs may include induced vomiting, activated charcoal, intravenous fluids, heart medications, anti-convulsants, and antacids, depending on the clinical signs.